Ok, I understand
Cookie Notice: This site uses cookies. For more information, please see our privacy policy.

Friends of Alton Station

Letter templates

Friends of Alton Station Letter templates

URGENT Appeal for help writing to Network Rail and Your MP

Dear supporters,

Time really is running out on us and we NEED your help urgently. We need as many people as possible to write to or send an email to the Chief Executive of Network Rail, Andrew Haines and also to your own MP (the local MP is Damian Hinds) asking them to help stop the demolition of the Victorian Wooden Footbridge within Alton Station.

Below you will find 2 templates you can copy and paste, or not, along with the email addresses of the 2 relevant people we think we need to appeal to. I will add that Damian Hinds, our local MP, has given his support and promised to write to Andrew Haines already but we feel the more emails he receives the more he will realise his constituents want this. Andrew Haines has yet to comment and is not that long in his job so may not be fully aware of our campaign that has been going on for years.

Andrew Haines - Chief Executive Network Rail

andrew.haines@networkrail.co.uk

Dear Mr Haines,

I am writing to you regarding the campaign to save the 1892 LSWR timber footbridge at Alton station in Hampshire. This footbridge, owned by Network Rail, may appear to be redundant, but it is a unique and historically-important structure that I would like to see saved. It is valuable as part of Alton’s historic station, giving original Victorian atmosphere for the many people who visit the Watercress Line steam railway. The bridge is also significant because it is the last surviving Victorian timber footbridge over a working railway, typical of those found at stations all across the UK in the 19th century. Additionally, its connection to the women’s suffrage movement through the ‘ladies of Alton’, who campaigned to get the bridge covered, adds an extra element of interest relating to the political struggles of the day.

I implore you to do all you can to assist Friends of Alton Station in saving and preserving the footbridge for posterity. At present, the Network Rail engineers are imposing impossible deadlines that they know the volunteers involved in Friends of Alton Station will not be able to meet. In the scale of things, the project is not hugely costly, so it would be beneficial to Network Rail’s public perception if it were able to be of greater assistance to this important local project.

Signed ………………

E-mail ……………….

Address ……………

Postcode ………….

Country …………….. (for international campaigners)

To Your MP

( damian.hinds.mp@parliament.uk )

All other MP email addresses can be found here https://www.parliament.uk/mps-lords-and-offices/mps/

Dear ………..

Please may I draw your attention to a campaign I have become aware of to save a timber footbridge in Alton, Hampshire. This 1892 timber footbridge at Alton Station is a unique and historically important structure that should be saved. It is valuable as part of Altons historic station, giving an original Victorian atmosphere for those visiting the Watercress Steam Line.

This bridge is significant because it is the last survivor of this type of timber footbridge that used to adorn Victorian stations. Additionally, its connection to the Women’s Suffrage Movement through the ‘Ladies of Alton’, who campaigned to get the bridge covered, adds an extra element of interest relating to the political struggles of the day.

I implore you to do all you can to help Friends of Alton Station to save and preserve the footbridge for posterity.

(only for people not writing to Damian Hinds)

delete as needed*The local MP for East Hampshire is the Rt Hon Damian Hinds. Please would you implore him to help #saveAltonfootbridge.

Signed ………………

E-mail ……………….

Address ……………

Postcode ………….

Country …………….. (for international campaigners)